- 10 slices white bread
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a greased 8-in. square baking dish with four bread slices. Layer with half of the tomatoes, cheese and onions. Top with remaining bread (slices will overlap). Layer with remaining tomatoes, cheese and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Tomato and Cheese Strata
"Very mushy, watery, didnt turn out how expected!"
"WAY too much bread; it was very mushy when done. I'd halve the bread and egg mixture, leaving the same amount of tomatoes without placing a layer of bread on top."
"Didn't turn out worthwhile"
"This sounded good but turned out very watery and mushy. If I made again, would use less water and less tomatoes."