- 10 slices white bread
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a greased 8-in. square baking dish with four bread slices. Layer with half of the tomatoes, cheese and onions. Top with remaining bread (slices will overlap). Layer with remaining tomatoes, cheese and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato and Cheese Strata in Country Extra September 2007, p51
Reviews for Tomato and Cheese Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2013
"Very mushy, watery, didnt turn out how expected!"
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2010
"Didn't turn out worthwhile"
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2009
"This sounded good but turned out very watery and mushy. If I made again, would use less water and less tomatoes."