Tomato, Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding Recipe
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°, In a large bowl, combine first eight ingredients. Stir in bread. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In the same bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 430 calories, 32g fat (18g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Tomato, Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding
"Delicious! The only things I did different were not to use the green onions (we don't care for them) and then use part heavy cream and part milk because I was using up some leftover cream I had"
"Excellent! We love it. 4 of us ate the whole pan in one setting!"
"Made this for my family as well as a church event, substituting the cream for fat-free half and half and everyone loved it!"
"This has a perfect mixture of flavors. The first time I made it, immediatly after I took my first bite, I knew I would be making it again. It is one of my favorite recipes :)"
"Tasty, but too Paula Deanish for our family."
"This dish is delicious. My family loved it. I took some leftovers to my mother and my brothers were there visiting. They all tried it an loved it. Had to give them the reciepe. Will make again. You can have it as a dinner with a salad or breakfast and pancakes as my mother had it. Wonderful!!!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.