This savory dish is the perfect excuse to have bread pudding as THE meal, not merely afterward as dessert. — Holly Jones, Kennesaw, Georgia
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°, In a large bowl, combine first eight ingredients. Stir in bread. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In the same bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Tomato, Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p77
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tomato, Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review