Tomato 'n' Corn Risotto Recipe
This is one of my favorite recipes because it uses items from the garden. Milk and Parmesan cheese give this side dish a creaminess everyone's sure to enjoy. —Angela Lively, Baxter, Tennessee
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1-1/3 cups fresh corn (about 5 ears of corn)
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat the water, milk and broth; keep warm.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- 3. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup hot water mixture. Cook and stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- 4. Add remaining water mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup equals 295 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 476 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC