Tom Thumb Treats Recipe
This recipe from my mother-in-law dates back to the 1930's. My husband makes them just once a year, at Christmas, but they are worth waiting for!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla until foamy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the egg mixture. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread over crust. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 101 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC