These candy-like bars are very rich, so cut them into smaller bars. Using German sweet chocolate gives them a delightfully different taste.Judith Scholovich, Waukesha, Wisconsin
27 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, vanilla, flour and salt; mix well. Spread into a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. In a heavy
- saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread
- over hot bars. Immediately sprinkle with nuts. Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into 1-1/4-in. squares. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 160 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.