Toffee Squares Recipe
These candy-like bars are very rich, so cut them into smaller bars. Using German sweet chocolate gives them a delightfully different taste.Judith Scholovich, Waukesha, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, vanilla, flour and salt; mix well. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread over hot bars. Immediately sprinkle with nuts. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 1-1/4-in. squares. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Toffee Squares in Country Woman November/December 1995, p40
Reviews for Toffee Squares(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review