A brown-sugar crust makes this nicely spiced snack cake a little different. It's especially good served with a scoop of ice cream. "This is our family's most-asked-for dessert," relates Roberta Ashcroft of Twin Falls, Idaho.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Place 3 cups of mixture in a small bowl; add 1/2 cup pecans. Press gently onto the bottom of two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, baking soda, nutmeg and vanilla; mix well. Beat in the remaining flour mixture until well blended. Pour over the crust. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks. Cut into wedges. Yield: 2 cakes(12 servings each), 24 servings total.
Originally published as Toffee-Pecan Nutmeg Cakes in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p53
Reviews for Toffee-Pecan Nutmeg Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review