"My mother passed along this yummy recipe," writes Anna Marie Cobb from Pearland, Texas. Her soft but chewy bars - packed with brown sugar, coconut and nuts - will be a hit at any party.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a soft dough forms. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to mixture. Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Spread over crust. Bake for 25-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Toffee Nut Squares in Country Woman November/December 1998, p41
Reviews for Toffee Nut Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review