- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water; stir into batter.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, dissolve coffee granules in hot water. Add cream and brown sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1-1/3 cups filling; sprinkle with 1/2 cup toffee bits. Repeat layers twice. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Toffee-Mocha Cream Cake in Country December/January 2010, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Toffee-Mocha Cream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review