Toffee Meringue Drops
The original recipe called for mini chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candy. I didn't have those ingredients on hand so I substituted toffee bits. Everyone loved the tasty results!—Bette Richards, Caledonia, Ontario
36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate English toffee bits
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 250°. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream
- of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add
- sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy
- peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in toffee
- bits and pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking
- sheets. Bake 25-30 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off;
- leave cookies in oven 1 hour.
- Cool completely on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 39 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.