Toffee Meringue Drops
The original recipe called for mini chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candy. I didn't have those ingredients on hand so I substituted toffee bits. Everyone loved the tasty results!Bette Richards, Caledonia, Ontario
36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate English toffee bits
- 1/2 cup finely Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time,
- beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is
- dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in toffee bits and pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking
- sheets. Bake at 250° for 25-30 minutes or until set and dry.
- Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven for 1 hour.
- Cool completely on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 39 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.