Toffee Crunch Dessert Recipe
This light and fluffy after-dinner delight was Kim Belcher's signature dessert. The Kingston Mines, Illinois reader loved the recipe's candy topping and creamy layers, but hated all of the fat and calories it offered. That's why she lightened it up herself. See Makeover Toffee Crunch Dessert for the skinny on her revision.
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 8 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), crushed
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup cream. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until cooled.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat remaining cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir 3 cups whipped cream into egg yolk mixture. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- 4. Cut cake into cubes. In a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the cake, cream mixture and crushed candy bars. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
3/4 cup: 527 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Toffee Crunch Dessert
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC