- vanilla until smooth. Stir in toffee. Spread over apples. Top with
- remaining bread cubes.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and remaining milk and vanilla. Pour
- over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, buttermilk, butter,
- corn syrup and baking soda. Bring to a boil over medium heat,
- stirring constantly. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture
- turns a golden amber color, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- stir in vanilla. Serve with French toast. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2
- cups syrup).
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece with 2 tablespoons syrup equals 463 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.