- 8 cups cubed French bread (1-inch cubes)
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 5 eggs
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with apples. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugars, 1/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth; stir in toffee bits. Spread over apples. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and remaining milk and vanilla until blended; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Toffee Apple French Toast
"I wouldn't really call this French toast. I was not thrilled with how it looked coming out of the oven. Like a casserole dish full of bread cubes (like the photo here). It tasted pretty good, very bread-y. I wouldn't make it again. Surely there are better French toast/breakfast casserole dishes out there."
"This was one delicious breakfast dish. We had it for 2010 Christmas Breakfast. NO LEFT OVERS. Accompanied with the Apple Spice Syrup (also of ToH) made this dish outstanding. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is a favorite is our household."
"I will only make this recipe again after adjusting... Lots more bread and lots less liquid. Its been in the over WAY over an hours and I'm still not convinced it is done and its not nearly as pretty as it should have been. I followed the directions EXACTLY as I do with all new recipes and I'm very disappointed. :("
"I had to modify it the second time I made this. The way it is written makes for VERY soggy bread that is kinda slimy, and the kids won't eat it. I now make it and immediately pop it in the oven to counteract the soggy bread issue."
"I work at a small restaurant in my hometown. I've got thumbs upon from the guys on the Toffee Apple french toast-which I serve with a Apple Spice syrup and I've made another Stuffed French toast with cream cheese and jam that I serve with a Triple berry sauce that they love. Everyone asks where I get the recipes and its always TOH!!Keep the recipes coming!! My customers love it!!Love to cook"