Shortbread cookies, toffee and roasty-toasty almonds team up for a treat that's both crunchy and chewy. This candy is a huge hit with my family and friends. —Nancy Mock, Colchester, Vermont
Recommended: 20 Barks & Brittles for Extra-Happy Holidays
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (9 ounces) Girl Scout Shortbread / Trefoils® cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a greased 15x10-in. rimmed baking pan with parchment paper coated with cooking spray. Arrange cookies in pan.
- Microwave butter until melted; whisk in brown sugar. Microwave 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until mixture is a thick caramel sauce. Pour sauce over cookies, covering each completely.
- Bake until puffed up and bubbly, about 10 minutes (do not allow to burn). Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over hot caramel. Let stand 5 minutes; spread chocolate over caramel. Top with almonds.
- Refrigerate baking pan until chocolate and caramel have hardened, about 1 hour. Break or cut bark. Yield: 2 pounds.
Originally published as Toffee & Chocolate Bark with Toasted Almonds in Girl Scouts - USA - Contest 2016