These yummy broiled sandwiches from Theresa Young of McHenry, Illinois taste just like they came from a delicatessen. With roast beef, provolone cheese, fresh veggies and a simple homemade dressing, they’re comforting and refreshing with a slight kick.
Recommended: 50 Secret Recipes for Classic Diner Foods
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Western salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 4 whole wheat sandwich buns, split
- 1/2 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices onion
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, salad dressing and horseradish; set aside. Place bun bottoms cut side up on an ungreased baking sheet; top with beef and cheeses. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Place bun tops cut side up on another baking sheet. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, layer with tomato, onion, yellow pepper and lettuce on sandwiches. Spread mayonnaise mixture over bun tops; place over lettuce. Yield: 4 sandwiches.
Originally published as Toasted Zippy Beef Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p59
Reviews for Toasted Zippy Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review