Toasted Veggie Sandwich Recipe
- 1 teaspoon fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 slice (1 ounce) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh spinach
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1. Spread mayonnaise and mustard on each slice of bread. On one piece of bread, layer a half slice of cheese, carrot, onion, sauerkraut, spinach and remaining cheese. Cover with second piece of bread. Spray both sides of sandwich with refrigerated butter-flavored spray. In a small nonstick skillet, toast sandwich over medium heat until bread is browned on both sides. Yield: 1 serving.
1 sandwich equals 290 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 727 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.