Toasted Veggie Sandwich Recipe
"The article 'Serve a Salad...from Your Garden' in the Apr/May '02 issue motivated me to share one of my family's favorite veggie sandwiches," writes Gail Nonamaker of Saluda, North Carolina. "Best when made with fresh garden ingredients, this sandwich is low in fat, packed with vitamins and is a meal by itself when served with a glass of milk. For variety, try substituting kale, Swiss chard or dark green leaf lettuce for the spinach."
- 1 teaspoon fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 slice (1 ounce) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh spinach
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on each slice of bread. On one piece of bread, layer a half slice of cheese, carrot, onion, sauerkraut, spinach and remaining cheese. Cover with second piece of bread. Spray both sides of sandwich with refrigerated butter-flavored spray. In a small nonstick skillet, toast sandwich over medium heat until bread is browned on both sides. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Toasted Veggie Sandwich in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p9
Reviews for Toasted Veggie Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review