Toasted Sunflower Bread Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups sunflower kernels, divided
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a small skillet over medium heat, cook and stir 1 cup of sunflower kernels until lightly browned, about 6 minutes; remove from the heat. Stir in soy sauce until kernels are evenly coated. Cool, stirring several times. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until ground.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the wheat flour, brown sugar, oil, salt and ground sunflower kernels. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide in half; let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sunflower kernels over the bottom and sides of two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Shape dough into loaves; place in pans. Press remaining kernels into top of dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Beat egg and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 161 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Toasted Sunflower Bread
"I really liked this bread. I lived overseas for a time and a little grocery store sold a similar bread. I think they put oatmeal in theirs, and maybe ground flax. But this recipe was close and had a nice savory flavor. I will definitely make it again."