VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 3 Italian sausage links, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Bake garlic toast according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the sausage, eggplant, mushrooms and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning; heat through. Spoon over cut sides of garlic bread and top with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Toasted Sausage Cacciatore Sammies in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p15