Toasted Reubens Recipe
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Spread mustard over four slices of bread. Layer with cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and horseradish; spread over remaining bread. Place over sauerkraut. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- 2. In a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich: 705 calories, 45g fat (15g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 2830mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Toasted Reubens
"Great recipe. Very delicious!"
"Excellent sandwich, and easy to make! It does taste like it came from a good deli. My husband is still talking about it, days later!"
"I prepared this recipe tonight and I swear it tasted better than many restaurant Reubens I have had. It is super easy and absolutely delicious. I made it exactly as written except I used pastrami since I could not find corned beef around here. It worked perfectly. This is definitely a five star recipe and we will be having it again and again. Here is a link to my review and picture.http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/29/p/895508/7762816.aspx#7762816"
"We loved this recipe. I didn't have any rye bread on hand so I made the Onion Dill Bread on this site and it made an awesome subsitute."
"This is awesome!"
"This was so delicious!"
"We have made this many times, and it is sooo good! Don't forget to rinse the sauerkraut."
"This recipe appeared years ago in Taste of Home magazine. I made them several times and misplaced the recipe. So glad to find it again! This is the very best Reuben recipe I have ever tried."
"I have tried a number of Reuben recipes and this one is the best I have ever made. I used our George Forman grill to toast to perfection but kept the rest pretty much the same. I am planning on making these again tomorrow!!!"
"SOOOOO GOOD!! These do taste like New York! Thanks!"
"Loved it! This is the first time eating a Toasted Reuben, my husband, who hates sauerkraut, enjoyed also!"
"My family loves this sandwich with honey mustard instead of the mayo mixture."
"You can also use Catalina dressing instead."
"Try it with coleslaw instead. Delicious."
"I use thousand island salad dressing instead of mayo, ketchum, mustard, relish. Again, horseradish is often left out or used very slightly."
"RE: Toasted ReubensInstead of sauerkraut I used jarred sweet and sour red cabbage"
"The best Reuben I've made. Everyone loved it. I can't wait to make these with our new "Griller"."