Toasted Oatmeal Cookies
These down-home-flavored cookies are a family favorite. Toasting the oats gives them an extra nutty flavor. The cookies freeze well and remain crisp...but I've found that whenever I make them of our children and grandchildren, I never have enough left to freeze!
21 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter until lightly
- browned. Add oats, stirring constantly until golden, about 8-10
- minutes. Remove from the heat; cool. Combine flour and baking soda;
- set aside. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until
- light. Stir in dry ingredients and peanuts until well blended. Let
- stand for 15 minutes. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased
- baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to wire rack to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 176 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.