I entered this special bread recipe in our state fair, and it won a blue ribbon. It's been a holiday favorite of mine ever since!
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, lightly toasted
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt; mix well. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk, molasses and butter until a thermometer reads 120°-130° (butter does not need to melt). Add to yeast mixture; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg, oats and 2 cups flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Shape into two round loaves; place on greased baking sheets. With sharp knife, cut four parallel slashes on top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Toasted Oatmeal Bread in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p17
Reviews for Toasted Oatmeal Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review