"Here's a healthy start to the day that can be made ahead, then the crisp mixture can be eaten quickly on the way to work or school," notes Jennifer Wilson, Vancouver, British Columbia.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Sliced Almonds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk, optional
- In a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan, combine the oats, sunflower
- kernels and almonds. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until
- almonds are golden.
- Place dates and oat bran in a large bowl; stir to coat dates with oat
- bran. Add the toasted oat mixture, bran flakes, wheat germ, raisins
- and sugar; stir gently to combine. Serve with milk if desired. Store
- in an airtight container. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without milk) equals 217 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.