Toasted Coconut Truffles
Meet the Cook: "Ooh" and "Mmmm" are common comments when folks taste these delectable bites. Toasted coconut in the coating makes the truffles especially tempting. I always include them in my Christmas packages and gift containers, and my husband thinks they are just fabulous. He is a full-time agronomist, plus we grain farm with my father. Our children are 6, 4 and 2.
-Beth Nagel, West Lafayette
33 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 pound white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, finely chopped and toasted
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese, milk, vanilla and water; beat with a hand
- mixer until blended. Cover and refrigerate until easy to handle,
- about 1-1/2 hours.
- Shape into 1-in. balls and place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Loosely cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating, stir until smooth. Dip balls in
- coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking
- sheets. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate until firm, about 15
- minutes. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Yield:
- about 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 220 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.