Pickle relish sparks the flavor of the chicken salad in these grilled sandwiches shared by Ruth Peterson of Jenison, Michigan. They are especially good with the easy cheese sauce.
Featured In: Favorite Mediterranean Recipes
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, drained
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 bread slices, crusts removed
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, celery, mayonnaise, relish, onion, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Spread over half of the bread; top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and remaining salt. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture.
- In a large skillet or on a griddle, melt butter over medium heat; grill sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine cheese sauce ingredients in saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Serve as a dipping sauce with sandwiches. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Toasted Chicken Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p39
Reviews for Toasted Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review