- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2-2/3 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 6-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add pecans; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined. Fold in 2 cups reserved pecans.
- Spread evenly into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Toasted Butter Pecan Cake
Sort By :
"Delicious and moist cake with killer frosting!"
"I have a question, do you sifted the flour before adding additional dry ingredients?"
"I've made this without the pecans many times. I need to try it this way!"
"I don't often take the time to write reviews, but this one deserves compliments. It is one of my families favorite desserts and I save it for special occasions, Easter, for instance, because I don't want them to get too used to it...that's how good it is. Really truly delicious, the frosting pairs perfectly with the rich, moist cake. I can't say enough good things about it: Try it, you won't regret it!"
"This was a delicious cake! It was a nice change from the usual desserts I make when company comes around. This cake feeds many! And, for those of you concerned about the calories, I was too. But, I cut my cake into 20 pieces! That lowered the calorie count down to 471 calories, which is still a lot. This is a sometimes-cake as I like to call it! :) Delicious!"