Toasted Beer Bread with Asiago Dip Recipe
Beer infuses fast-to-fix quick bread with robust flavor. Toasted slices pair perfectly with a rich, cheesy dip that guests can't stop digging into.—Michelle Zupan, Augusta, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- ASIAGO DIP:
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir in beer just until moistened. Fold in cheese and onions. Transfer to four greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Brush with 2 tablespoons butter.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Brush tops with remaining butter.
- 3. Remove loaves to a cutting board; cut each into six slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until toasted. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In small bowl, combine tomatoes and water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese, mushrooms, onions, pepper flakes and tomatoes. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm with toast. Yield: 4 mini loaves (6 slices each) and 3 cups dip.
1 slice toast with 2 tablespoons dip equals 191 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC