Toasted Anise Strips
Keep some of these unique crunchy cookies on hand to enjoy with a cup of hot coffee or a cold glass of milk.—Elena Smoulder, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon anise extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
- well after each addition. Add extract. Combine flour, baking powder
- and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread half of the
- batter onto a greased baking sheet, forming an 11-in. x 5-in.
- rectangle. Repeat with remaining batter on a second baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheets; cut into
- 1-in. slices. Place with cut side down on baking sheets. Bake 15
- minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 226 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.