"I combined several granola recipes to come up with this one," says Tracy Weakly from Aloha, Oregon of her crunchy cranberry-and-apricot-flavored treat. "For fun, vary the kinds of fruits and nuts. The possibilities are endless."
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Fat-free plain yogurt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, cereal, wheat germ, milk powder, almonds, brown sugar, sunflower kernels and salt. In a saucepan, combine the orange juice, honey and oil. Heat for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until honey is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in the extracts. Pour over the oat mixture; stir to coat.
- Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in dried fruits. Store in an airtight container. Serve with yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Toasted Almond Granola in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p64
Reviews for Toasted Almond Granola
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review