- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 2 packages (1.4 ounces each) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 candy cane, crushed
- In a large bowl, beat butter. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, egg whites, sour cream, milk, vanilla and peppermint extract if desired. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture just until blended.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For pudding, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Crumble the brownies; place half of the crumbs in a 3-qt. bowl or trifle dish. Top with half of the pudding and whipped topping. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Tiny Tim Trifle
"I substituted brown rice flower and splenda, and this still turned out fabulous!"
"Maybe I did something wroong, but this WAS NOT GOOD! The pudding was runny and there wasn't enough of a "Great" taste for the dessert. Sorry, but We didn't like this at all!!!"
"I made with sugar-free brownie mix and added chopped pecans and made sf pudding according to the box directions. I used fat-free Cool Whip and crushed peppermint candy in my Magic Bullet. My family raved over this - delicious!!!"
"So yummy and got a great review at our family Christmas! Only thing I changed was just using the box directions for the pudding instead of the extra milk and mix."
"Oh...and fat free whipped topping has lots of sugar so used less and only on the inner layer. Nothing on top."
"Yes, I'd make it again but not with directions given. Pudding directions are obviously wrong. 2% and even Fat-free milk is fine but follow the pudding box directions and use the directions for pie filling to avoid major "sog"-factor. They make sugar-free peppermint candy too by the way. I like my brownies soft and chewy so use a different recipe and the walnuts in it are a nice touch too. Also, might not be as pretty to look at in the trifle...but tastes better when individual servings are topped with peppermint ice-cream! My husband and I are both diabetic and have heart health issues but diabetic friendly does not always mean totally sugar or carb free. However, if you have no self control and/or don't know to manage carbs appropriately to include desserts like this then it is probably better to go totally sugar-free and reduce the carbs as low as you can when doing desserts. For me, control becomes an issue anytime chocolate is involved! Easily done though just by going with diabetic brownie mixes if you don't know what substitutes to use in a recipe. For recipe substitutes, we don't use butter or margerine...we use SmartBalance instead. Egg substitutes and egg whites. Blend rolled oats in a blender until powdered to a flour consistency and make a flour mixture that is 1/3 all-purpose flour, 1/3 oat flour, and 1/3 wheat to boost the overall health-factor of any recipe that calls for all-purpose flour. And eliminate or cut the salt by half or more. And Splenda of course. Blue Bunny sugar free vanilla ice cream with sugar free peppermint candies folded into it for peppermint ice cream."
"Well, I did it! I made this with a sugar-free brownie mix (two of them), added the peppermint flavoring and sour cream. I also used the sugar-free puddings (the boxes are 1.4 oz) and it set up just fine. The only sugar in it was the peppermint on top. Everyone raved about it and asked for the recipe. It looked so pretty!"
"We did not like the browine/cake part of this recipe - it was very dry. Would not make again."
"Correction: I meant to write sugar free or fat free whipped topping :^)"