- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In
- another bowl, mix bread crumbs, flour, orange peel, cinnamon, baking
- soda, nutmeg, salt and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Fold in plums, dates, raisins, carrots and currants.
- Transfer to prepared pudding mold. Cover tightly with heavy-duty
- foil; tie foil with kitchen string to secure.
- Place on a rack in a stockpot; add 3 in. of hot water to pot. Bring
- water to a gentle boil; steam cake, covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or
- until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; add additional
- water to pot as needed. Remove pudding from pot; let stand 5 minutes
- before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat hard sauce ingredients until smooth and
- creamy. Unmold pudding onto a serving plate; serve warm with sauce.
- Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice with 2 tablespoons hard sauce equals 550 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 98 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.