- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. In a small bowl, whisk water, gravy mix, dressing mix, soup mix, garlic powder and pepper until blended; add to pan. Bring to a boil. Bake, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add vegetables; cook 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Skim fat if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Tina's Pot Roast
"I made this and my husband loved it. Said it was the best pot roast I have ever made. I am making it again for him tonight. The meat was so tender it melted in your mouth!!! This will be a new favorite in our house now."
"Let me tell u I made this 2day and it was so good this is a keeper thanks for sharing"
"How would i modify this recipe to cook it in the slow cooker?"
"Awesome. I just double the gravy mix."
"This is a great base recipe that anyone can expand on. I used tiny, Honey Gold potatoes (left the peeling on) and baby carrots (already peeled). I quartered a white onion (but the onion pack sounds good and may help thicken the sauce).Didn't have cooking sherry, so I used a cup of Cabernet Sauvignon and added a concentrated beef bouillon base (instead of brown gravy mix, it's much richer).To thicken your gravy, remove it and mix two tbsp. corn starch with the same amount of cold water. Mix into gravy and simmer until more consistent. Enjoy!"
"I have used a similar recipe in the past and found it way too salty. On this recipe I omitted the Italian salad dressing mix and used just 1/2 package of the onion soup, the whole package of Au jus gravy mix, 1/3 cup red wine and about 1 cup of water. I didn't want to heat up my Florida kitchen so I cooked it in my electric frypan. Turned out perfectly. The flavor could not be beat and my picky eater loved it. I am a gravy freak and this stuff was delicious."
"Have this in the crock pot rite now. Will see how it turns out. I doubled the water and brown gravy mix. ~~~~~~~~~ Okay this is the most fab pot roast ever!!! After 2 hrs of being in the crock pot it is tender and so much flavor. Now added "fresh new potatoes and carrots"."
"Good but very salty. I did double the gravy and also doubled the water in addition to that. Not sure i would make again."
"I would like to know whether this recipe can be made in a crock pot? Looks delish!"
"can you make this in a crock pot instead?"