Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake
This recipe goes back at least as far as my grandmother, who was born in the early 1900's. Our sons and I enjoy eating it in a bowl with milk poured on itmuch to the dismay of my husband, who prefers it plain!
16-20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until
- crumbly. Set aside 2 cups. Combine remaining crumb mixture with the
- remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved crumbs into a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with remaining
- crumbs. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 262 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.