Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake Recipe
This recipe goes back at least as far as my grandmother, who was born in the early 1900's. Our sons and I enjoy eating it in a bowl with milk poured on it—much to the dismay of my husband, who prefers it plain!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 2 cups. Combine remaining crumb mixture with the remaining ingredients.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved crumbs into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 piece: 262 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC