- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 2 cups. Combine remaining crumb mixture with the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved crumbs into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish or 12-in. oven-proof skillet. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p35
Reviews for Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 9, 2017 Edited May. 10, 2017
"This is very similar to a recipe handed down from my great-grandmother who was born in the late 1800's. My grandpa and I loved this cake (our recipe included raisins)--very good with a cup of coffee!"