Thyme Roasted Turkey
It's easy for flavors to get lost when using too many seasonings together. When in doubt, a simple combination of butter and fresh thyme captures the essence of Thanksgiving for a classic turkey dinner. —Alma Winberry, Great Falls, Montana
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Place turkey
- on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. With fingers,
- carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the butter
- mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with
- toothpicks. Rub outside of turkey with remaining butter mixture.
- Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a
- thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally
- with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too
- Discard toothpicks. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before
- carving. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer