- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, half of the thyme and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meatballs; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, carrots and mushrooms in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, tomatoes, meatballs and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Thyme for Meatball Soup
Sort By :
I haven't made this soup in several years, but I have fond memories of it. Then, when I wanted to make it today I couldn't find my recipe. Thank goodness I thought to look it up on the computer. It is just as good as I remembered it to be.
I thought this was just OK. Kind of bland but edible.
This soup is really surprisingly good. The broth is very tasty and carries the whole soup well.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Meatball Soup >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Soup Recipes >