This Southwestern-style salad is layered with crunchy tortilla chips, lettuce, beans, tomatoes, olives, cheese and a zippy meat mixture, then drizzled with a snappy salsa dressing. "My family loves it," says Phyllis Schmalz of Kansas City, Kansas. "You will, too!"
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 4 cups baked tortilla chip scoops, broken
- 8 cups shredded lettuce, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped, divided
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2/3 cup salsa
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, layer tortilla chips, 7 cups lettuce, beans, half of tomatoes, olives, half of cheese and meat mixture. Top with remaining tomatoes, cheese and lettuce. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and salsa. Serve with salad. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Three-Step Taco Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p21
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Three-Step Taco Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review