Three-Rice Pilaf Recipe
My family's favorite rice dish is this tempting medley of white, brown and wild rice. I prepare it as a side dish or a stuffing. In fall I add chopped dried apricots, and for the holidays I mix in dried cranberries. My guests always ask for seconds. -Ricki Bingham, Ogden, Utah
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute brown rice, carrots, onion and mushrooms in oil for 10 minutes or until rice is golden.
- 2. Add wild rice, broth, thyme, and rosemary; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 3. Stir in long grain rice; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and wild rice is tender.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in apricots, green onions, salt and pepper. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans just before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 190 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC