If you're serious about guacamole, use a molcajete. The lava stone makes a big difference on the pepper paste and is fun for guests. — Laura Levy, Lyons, Colorado
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded serrano pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine 3 tablespoons cilantro, 2 tablespoons onion,
- peppers, garlic and salt; mash together with a fork. Stir in
- avocados; fold in tomatoes and remaining cilantro and onion. Serve
- immediately with chips. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 76 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 82 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fat.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.