Three Meat-Stuffed Banana Peppers Recipe
- 6 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 24 banana peppers
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1. Grease two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in each dish; set aside.
- 2. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, 2/3 cup cheese, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble the beef, sausage and veal over mixture; mix well. Spoon into peppers.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook peppers in oil in batches over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange 12 peppers in each prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining dish at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender.
- 5. To use frozen stuffed peppers: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender. Yield: 2 dishes (6 servings each).
2 stuffed banana peppers with 1/2 cup sauce equals 302 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 1,092 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.