Three Meat-Stuffed Banana Peppers Recipe
- 6 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 24 banana peppers
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Grease two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in each dish; set aside.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, 2/3 cup cheese, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble the beef, sausage and veal over mixture; mix well. Spoon into peppers.
- In a large skillet, cook peppers in oil in batches over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange 12 peppers in each prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining dish at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender.
- To use frozen stuffed peppers: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender. Yield: 2 dishes (6 servings each).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Three Meat-Stuffed Banana Peppers
Sort By :
"Delicious will make again and again!"
"Excellant, will definately be a family favorite. Also, really like the idea that the recipe even calls for freezing some for another day, what a great idea for busy days."
"This is a GREAT recipe for half-hots, especially if you prefer not to use rice in your filling. I used 1 lb ground pork and 1-1/2 lb ground beef for the meat, and it was excellent! I also cut my half hots in half crosswise for easier filling and those with delicate stomachs may prefer a smaller piece. They're ready now for Super Bowl Sunday!!"