Three-Meat Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
“I simmer this hearty sauce in large batches, freeze it and use it for spaghetti, lasagna, mostaccioli and pizza,” writes Ellen Stringer of Fairmont, West Virginia. “I adapted the original recipe until I came up with the perfect sauce. I've received many compliments from friends and family. I simmer it in a large electric roaster instead of on the stovetop,” she says.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti and additional Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, mushrooms, pepperoni, cheese, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic salt, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve desired amount with spaghetti and sprinkle with additional cheese. Cool remaining sauce. Freeze in serving-size portions in freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen spaghetti sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through. Serve over spaghetti and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 11-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Three-Meat Spaghetti Sauce in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p48
Reviews for Three-Meat Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2013
3 Cups of water + Sugar = watery, gross, sweet spaghetti. That is NOT what spaghetti is supposed to taste like!
Reviewed Mar. 13, 2010
Better than any I've found so far!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >