Three-Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 5 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley or 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh oregano or 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef, pork and sausage in oil; drain. Add onions; cook until tender. Add the tomato sauce and paste, water, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beef and pork are tender.
- 2. For 4-6 people, serve 4 cups of the meat sauce over 1 pound of cooked and drained spaghetti. Refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce (may be frozen up to 3 months). Yield: 18 cups.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 320 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 969 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.