- sugars and orange peel until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at
- a time, beating well after each addition. If desired, beat in thyme.
- Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice mixture, beating
- well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks
- form. Fold into batter. Gently fold in shredded carrots and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before
- removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, orange peel and
- juice until blended. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar
- to reach desired consistency.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Editor's Note: To decorate cake with carrot ribbons, use a vegetable peeler to shave one large carrot into long ribbon-like strips. Reserve four of the longest strips for sides of cake; roll up remaining strips to make curls for the bow. Arrange long and rolled-up strips on a paper towel-lined baking sheet; let dry 30-45 minutes before placing on cake. Decorate frosted cake with carrot ribbons just before serving; if desired, add fresh thyme sprigs.