Joyce Siewert of Greendale, Wisconsin layers bananas, pears and apricots in a loaf pan, then covers them with lime gelatin. Rather than spooning out the servings, she slices the salad to showcase the pretty layers. "Sometimes I substitute canned peaches of fruit cocktail for the other canned fruits in the recipe," she says.
Recommended: 30 Recipes for Summer Salads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves in extra-light syrup
- 2 cans (8-1/4 ounces each) reduced-sugar apricot halves
- 2 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 packages (.3 ounce each) sugar-free lime gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- Drain pears and apricots, reserving 1-1/2 cups syrup. In a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, layer the pears, apricots and bananas. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in reserved syrup. Pour gelatin mixture over bananas. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Unmold and slice gelatin. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Three-Layer Fruit Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p9