Three-Layer Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cold milk
- 3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa and sugar. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Stir a small amount of mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°. Stir in the wafer crumbs, coconut and vanilla.
- 2. Press into an ungreased 8-in. square dish. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pudding. Spread over crust. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over filling. Refrigerate until serving. Cut into bars. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Three-Layer Bars
"My mother makes these every Christmas. She actually is the person who submitted this recipe that was published in the Taste of Home's holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007. These have always been my brother's favorite on holidays, but is now a favorite to all. Each layer in itself is wonderful, but together, perfection! Warning!! You can't stop at one, two, three,.......!"