Three-Grain Wild Rice Bread Recipe
Wild rice really shines in this one-of-a-kind recipe. The first time I made this bread, I knew I'd found a new favorite. Everyone who has tried it since confirms that over and over again!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cooked wild rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, whole wheat flour, rye flour, oats, honey, butter, salt and 2 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in wild rice and enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg and cold water; brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 126 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC