Three-Grain Pilaf Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and carrot in oil for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, barley and bulgur; saute for 4 minutes or until grains are lightly browned.
- 2. Gradually add broth and sherry if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley and sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.