Three-Grain Pilaf Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and carrot in oil for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, barley and bulgur; saute for 4 minutes or until grains are lightly browned.
- Gradually add broth and sherry if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley and sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Three-Grain Pilaf
Sort By :
Absolute hit this morning at brunch. Got asked for the recipe. Made one change, I almost never have dried oregano or basil on hand (as in next to the stove) so I usually use Herbs de Provence. Did today too. Also because of a vegan in my life, I used veggie stock.
Fantastic recipe! I've made it numerous times and am almost always asked for the recipe. I throw it all in the rice cooker and it works great.
This was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. I followed the recipe exactly. It was inedible.
Wonderful recipe: used it for gourmet club and we all loved it. So easy to do.